HB 424 was introduced earlier this month and would affect staffing in assisted living facilities providing dementia care.
To be able to say that it is offering dementia care or that it is a “memory care” home, a facility would have to meet the following criteria:
- Staffing ratios:
- During the day, there must be 1 nursing staff for every 8 residents. The term “nursing staff is not defined.
- On the evening shift, there must be 1 nursing staff for every 10 residents.
- On the night shift, there must be 1 nursing staff for every 15 residents.
- All staff providing dementia care must complete 12 hours of dementia-specific care training prior to providing care, and receive ongoing training at least annually thereafter.
- There must be a dedicated activity staff. Activity services must be offered 7 days a week at least 9 hours a day while residents are awake.
This bill has just been assigned to committee. To submit comments, contact the sponsors listed below or your elected representative:
Rep. Larry Mitchell
Sen. Spiros Mantzavinos
To view bills and regulations that we’re watching, go to RALNA’s real-time tracking boards:
2022 Legislative Tracking Board